Karnataka Government Secretariat
Criteria for Library Membership Standards/Regulations
a)All officers and staff of the Karnataka Government Secretariat are entitled to enroll themselves, as members. The officers/ officials who work on deputation basis in Karnataka Government Secretariat can also get library membership subject to certain conditions.
b)The following persons to become members of the Library subject to such persons depositing Rs.400/- which is refundable and paying Rs.20/- as membership fee and such other conditions as it may lay down:
* Retired Officers belonging to the IAS., IPS., IFS., KAS., Karnataka Judicial Service, Karnataka Government Secretariat Group ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ who were members of the Secretariat Library before their retirement.
* Persons in the field of Art, Culture and Journalism.
(* Amended as per G.O. No. DPAR 62 LBM 1995, dated 19-12-1995)
BORROWING AND LENDING BOOKS :
* A member shall be given borrowers Tickets to take books and magazines for home reading.
* A book shall be lent to a member only in exchange for his ticket, which will be handed back to the reader when he / she return the book.
* Books on loan shall be returned on or before the due date stamped / marked on the books or 15 days whichever is earlier.
* Loan may be renewed at the discretion of the Chief Librarian for a further period of a fortnight on production of the book at the Library, provided no other member has applied for the book in mean time.
* Books are issued to the members for their personal use. These should not be lent to others by the borrower.
* No member shall transfer his / her borrower tickets to anybody else other than for the purpose of obtaining books on loan for his personal use, with a letter of authority addressed to the Chief Librarian.
* Only members shall have the right of access to the Lending Section, for the purpose of borrowing books, but their representatives, duly authorised by them, may be admitted and allowed to borrow books on their behalf, provided they hold a letter of authority from the member concerned to the satisfaction of the Chief Librarian.
* The member shall be responsible for any book issued against his / her ticket
* Before leaving the counter, the member shall satisfy himself or herself as to whether the book, that is lent, is in sound condition and if it is not, shall immediately bring the matter to the notice of the Chief Librarian or his nominee; otherwise he/ she is liable to replace the book by a sound copy or to pay its cost and other charges.
* Books on loan can be recalled and the loan terminated at any time at the discretion of the Chief Librarian/ Deputy Librarian.
* A member may request the Chief Librarian to reserve a book except books which are classified as books of Reference.
* If a book is not returned to the Library when due, a fine of 50ps. Per volume per day up to a maximum of an amount equal to the prices of the book shall be charged.
* If the book is not returned along with the amount due when the fine has reached the maximum then the price of the book and the fine shall be recoverable from the salary of the concerned or adjusted out of the deposit amount.
* If one book or volume of a set is damaged or lost the member concerned shall be liable to replace the whole set.
* No person shall, write upon damage, make a tracing of any portion or any mark upon any book belonging to the library.
* The value of the book or books lost or damaged shall be immediately credited to the library with a fine of Rs.5/- per book or 25% extra cost whichever is more.
* The replacement cost of the lost books collected from a member may be refunded provided the books are returned within 60 days of the date of making the payment and are in good condition, to the satisfaction of the Chief Librarian.
LOST OF BORROWERS TICKET :
A member who has lost his/her borrows ticket, shall immediately make a written report to this effect to the Chief Librarian and shall make a declaration in the prescribed form and pay a fee of Rs.50/- for the first duplicate ticket required, Rs.100/- for the second duplicate ticket. Notwithstanding such replacement of tickets, a member shall be held responsible for any book borrowed on the original as well as the duplicate ticket and library shall not undertake responsibility of detecting the misuses of such lost tickets.