The Karnataka Government Secretariat Library is one of the most prestigious, computerized and well equipped libraries in the country. The main library is situated in Room No.11, Ground floor of Vidhana Soudha, and its branch is in Room No.21, the Ground floor of Vikasa Soudha.
The Secretariat Library forms a part of the Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms and comes under the direct control of the Additional secretary to the Government of Karnataka. All the officers and officials of the Secretariat are eligible to become members of the Secretaiat Library.
Now this library has a collection around 1,33,000 books of different subjects stocked for the use of its members. Apart from books, it also has reports, Gazetteers, encyclopedias etc., This library has collection of books like English Novels, Children Literature, personality Development, Technology, Medicine, Religion and many other Subjects.
Apart from the books, the library also subscribes Magazines and News papers. Newspapers and Magazines are of English and Kannada Language. There is a reading room which facilitates its readers to read peacefully.
For the convenience of the readers, i.e., for the staff working in M.S.Building and Vikasa Soudha, a branch has been opened in Vikasa Soudha.
This Library has around 5000 members and is computerized. E-granthalaya software is being used in the Library. Members are allowed to borrow books and periodicals from the Library. The Period for Loan is 15 days and an additional renewal period of maximum 45 days can be availed by the members.
The Chief Librarian controls the day to day activities of the library. He is assisted by a team of qualified librarians and Apprentice Trainees. He is responsible for the library planning, organization and developments. The staff are qualified and responsible for library’s activities.
The Secretariat Library is having institutional membership of the Indian Library Association (ILA) and the Indian Association of Special libraries and Information Centres (IASLIC).
Profile of the Library:
- Name of the Institution : Karnataka Government Secretariat Library
- Year of Establishment : 1918
- Location : DPAR (Library), Room No.11,
Ground Floor, Vidhana Soudha,
- Branch : DPAR (Library), Room No.21,
Ground Floor, Vikasa Soudha,
Facilities Provided for the Members of the Library
* The following services/facilities have been implemented on the basis of the recommendations of the committee:
1.User Orientation Programme(Library awareness and education)
2.Open Access to library resources.
* The newly procured books and journals are displayed on the new arrivals rack for the benefit of readers twice in a month. On an average 1500 new titles are being added to the Library. As on 01-11-2020 the stock of our Library is about 1,33,000.
* The Library collects and uses the feedback from its users. It maintains a feedback/suggestion box for the same. The Library Advisory Committee takes cognizance of the suggestions, discusses the same in its meetings and incorporates them for improving the services.
* There is a reference section which consists of a large collection of reference books, encyclopaedia, biographies, ephemeris, dictionaries etc so that members can read in the library.
* Reprography: The Library has Reprographic facilities. Members can utilize this facility.
* Translation Services: The Technical Staff of our library has knowledge of providing this facility to the members which can be used in rare occasion.
* Information deployment and notification (Information Deployment and Notification): The Library has a notice board both in Main Library and branch, where important circulars, list of new arrivals, newspaper clippings are displayed.
* The library follows “No waiting time” for issue and return of books in case of each member.
* The library has a large number of books for borrowing, reference books, journals, magazines, newspapers. There are nearly 1,33,000 books 59 Magazines/journals.
* The Library has learning resources in the form of books and periodicals for competitive examinations. Stores compendiums, Civil lists, Reports of different commissions, Antique books, Annual reports etc., which will help members to get ready information for better service in their respective posts.
* Library works on all working days from 10 AM to 5.30 PM
* Separate reading rooms have been provided both in Main Library and branch Library.
* Separate seating arrangement has been made exclusively for Senior IAS Officers to facilitate them to access the information without any disturbance.
* Membership to the Secretariat Library is given to all the Secretariat Officers/Staff free of cost. These Members can borrow 4 books and 2 Magazines at a time.
* Retired Officers / Staffs of Secretariat can also get the Membership of our library by depositing 400/- which is refundable at the time of surrendering the Membership cards. Rs.20/- will be collected as Membership Fees which is non refundable. These Members can borrow 2 books and 2 Magazines at a time.
* Each rack has been labelled subject wise to help the readers to find the books according to their interests.
* Readers can also get xerox copies of the desired information.
* Back issues of the News papers and periodicals for a period of three months will be kept as reference.
* If Members desire to take old newspapers and magazines, they can have by giving 25% of the cost price of the respective periodical.
* Departmental Books are kept separately.
* Secretariat Library has a website http://vslib.kar.nic.in where Members can browse and find the books available in the Library.
* Library is using e-Granthalaya software, which is user friendly for the library members.
* Compendiums of D.P.A.R and Finance Department are kept for reference.
* Gazettes, Gazetteers , are also kept for reference.
* Library has adopted DDC system for classification of the books.